The Clog Debate

Ever since I saw the girls clomping down the runway at Chanel’s Spring 2010 show, I thought… Hmmm. Really? I’ve never liked clogs as there’s nothing sexy about them and they are technically frumpy.
I remember even proclaiming that you would NEVER catch me in a pair of clogs. No matter who said they were cool!
Then I saw Miu Miu’s clog…
Cute…ish. Still not sold.
But then these babies, also Miu Miu-
Kinda love them. Maybe because they’re not opened up? I think they’re really effin cool, though clearly too heavy for Spring.
This month’s cover of British Vogue has Alexa Chung wearing clogs (Chanel I think) that she looks pretty great in. Then again, I personally think she looks great in most things.
So I’ve decided to go try some on tomorrow and see if I can get into it. This looks like a Spring trend that I will either have to pass on or try out in a cheaper way.
This one by Steve Madden seems OK and basic for a trial pair.

And of course, this beauty by Jessica Simpson that I should have bought before it sold out everywhere. Not a clog but clog-ish.
What do you all think? To clog or not to clog?? Will YOU be braving this trend or leaving it to the pros?

Filed under: chanel · clogs · designer shoes · jessica simpson · miu miu · steve madden · trend · vogue

Comments:

• limited edition shoes Jun.16.2010, 10:10 am

Have to admit to never owning a pair of clogs. I really don’t like them.

• Roz Jun.02.2010, 9:25 am

If you love fashion as much as we do check out http://www.yogoego.com

A recently launched website Yogoego.com will not only give you style, but also a great variety to choose from!!

Make sure you look out for all our ‘steal the looks’ and never ending promotions…

If you register with us, you will receive 10% off your first order….

Copy the Stars and dazzle where ever you go with our stylish clogs!!!

• Anonymous Apr.04.2010, 8:41 pm

I don’t like clogs but the Jessica Simpson pair looks cute! The website says they’re coming mid April ;)

• Marc Apr.03.2010, 9:10 am

Don’t do it! I’m with Neb-jamming. Clog sounds like fog, a dense mist obscuring good judgment and sound fashion decision making.

p.s. Chung, sounds like fun! sike, that doesn’t even rhyme. Chung sounds like dung, which is a fancy way of saying, poop. Have you seen her actually host a show, she steadily goes into anorexic shock while speaking to guests. We need to IV her a hamburger, stat.

It’s a go for spring, do it pink, do the miu, live it, love it….no clogs.

• etoilee8 Mar.25.2010, 3:37 am

I can’t lie . . . I think I want a pair by Hasbeen . . .

• Insomnia Mar.23.2010, 7:57 pm

Clogs are not my kind of thing. The ones from Steve Madden are ok, because the heel is still elegant.

• Giselle Mar.22.2010, 8:20 pm

I have the ones from Jessica simpson but in a tan color…let me tell you they dont look comfortable but they really are!!!! i wear them w everything!

• Bara S Mar.22.2010, 8:18 pm

i will not wearing this trend I do not like shoes without the heel strap

• The Queen of Hearts Mar.22.2010, 4:45 pm

No m’am.

• kiwaczek2 Mar.22.2010, 2:01 pm

I like clogs, they remind me of my childhood when they were very popular . well not exactly such nice ones but still. so i say YES

• Susan Mar.22.2010, 2:54 am

I am a trend whore, so I say GO FOR IT! I would lean toward the “clog like” versus the Dansko…

• Tania Mar.21.2010, 9:16 pm

To clog or not to clog, that is the question

I think go for it, I’ll probably try on a pair or two, but I’m not one for spending much, so buying is unlikely (unless rather nice parents lend a hand)

toruu-tania.blogspot.com

• Dexter Mar.21.2010, 2:16 pm

Oh no, don’t do this to me! Whatever they want to sell they put it on Alexa, because ppl would think it’s cool. Well, IMO clogs aren’t.
    However, there’s a difference between the classic clogs and the ones like that furry Miu Miu or the one by JS. I don’t like those which are open at the heel. Brrrr, no!

• Loulou Mar.21.2010, 10:19 am

I don’t really like them, especially the pair by Chanel, it’s too much a clog for me, but i like the last Jessica Simpson clog because it’s more a heel then a clog, and the wooden heel looks great!

• Carly Mar.20.2010, 5:09 pm

Buy the clogs, but a cheap pair. They’ll be out of date so soon and we’ll all be hearing younger generations in a few years mocking us for wearing clogs. Haha, fashion swings in round a bouts.

• Girl_with_the_Mask Mar.20.2010, 10:31 am

Hm…I think it really depends on the clogs you want to wear…the clogs of alexa are fabulous..the ones by Steve Madden…I don’t know…The Miu Mius and Chanels are also fab..

So in conclusio…Clog girl! ;)

xx Emily

TheGirlwiththeMask

• Audrey Mar.20.2010, 6:28 am

I like the Clog and the Mule except for the fact they’re hard to walk in.

• Tørlich Mar.19.2010, 1:53 pm
  • Lolo Mar.19.2010, 1:11 pm

I also am not a massive fan of clogs.
    I imagine they’re quite hard to walk in! Especially the high heeled ones.
    I am liking shoes with wooden bases tho! I really want a pair of swedish hasbeens to wear to work during spring/summer.

What are your thoughts on socks with heels?

• Nori Mar.19.2010, 6:35 am

Not a fan too but I like the last 3 pairs you posted.

• Murderanda Mar.19.2010, 3:07 am

Clog it girlfriend! I love the black Chanel ones.. I do believe Free People has ones almost identical for like an eighth of the price.

• Nayyme Mar.18.2010, 9:19 pm

I saw a girl at my college wearing typical red dutch clogs and honestly, I was a bit perturbed. However, looking at these especially that second pair of Miu Miu’s I may be convinced otherwise. I think the problem with clogs is the connotations of edam and sheep and stuff like that, I don’t know why, but that’s what I think.

• SabinePsynopsis Mar.18.2010, 8:53 pm

Still undecided. First I was all ‘Yeah!’ but yesterday I went shoe shopping and it turned into ‘nah…’. But since I’ve been wearing Dr.Scholl’s all summer the last years I’m pretty much there already anyway.

• Smacko Mar.18.2010, 2:08 pm

Oh definitely not to clog! I don’t think they’re terrible looking, but not beautiful either. I think they’re the opposite of spring, I’d leave it to the models.

But that’s just me :3

• holly in heels Mar.18.2010, 2:01 pm

I’m thinkin’ I like the clog look a little, as long as you keep it sexy and fresh (like Alexa Chung has mastered on that Vogue cover!). Great post, Shoe Girl! xoxo, hollyinheels.com

• bravegrrl Mar.17.2010, 9:01 pm

oh my gosh, yes, TO CLOG! i love clogs, always have… been collecting them since… high school?! and i think they would look super cute on you…

i’m selling a pair of the jessica simpson dany platforms on ebay in a size 8… just fyi

but yes, you should clog :)

xo
    bravegrrl.blogspot.com

• Anonymous Mar.17.2010, 7:08 pm

i cant get into the clog trend either..

• Jessie P Mar.17.2010, 5:19 pm

Hahahah Ben that is a sound, sound analysis. The word clog, also references another choice 90’s sensation, the ‘pog’ – which died a very justified death. Some would liken this to the clog phenomenon.

Regardless, shoe lover to shoe lover, I would go cheap on this trend. It seems short-lived, albeit a kinda fun one (since apparel trends are following suit with a departure from the rock, 80’s look). Go for a knock off, like those Kurt Geiger styles, and call it a day. Save your $$ for that miu miu mouse skirt.

Peace

• Benjamin Mar.17.2010, 5:09 pm

Please no.

Cloggish – ok as long as “clog” problem* has been fixed.

-your husband.

*THE CLOG PROBLEM
    1. The specimen referred to as the “clog” has defining characteristics (closed toe & foot arch, open heel) known to hide the attractive parts of a woman’s foot.

2. Since clog has been frequently matched with other specimens that mask a woman’s attractiveness, the word (or sound) “clog” does very much the same thing to your dude like the word “veterinarian” to your dog.

• PINK HAIRED PRINCESS Mar.17.2010, 4:55 pm

I can remember when clogs were popular in the 90’s and you got them in all pretty colours. I had shiny lilac and black pairs. I just can’t get into them this time around though and usually I love taking something like this and making it really high heeled, but they always just seem ‘off’ to me.

• jules Mar.17.2010, 4:47 pm

Not into it. But you can pull off anything lady

• CinEffinRella Mar.17.2010, 3:40 pm

No. Can’t Support.

• Philippa Mar.17.2010, 2:44 pm

I can’t get on board! i really don’t like the trend, clogs have never been fashionable before and they should’t be it know. I really don’t believe that clogs do anything good for you, or your outfit! i am for sure gonna be leaving this trend to the pros, and hope the trend will be banded next season!

• Jaime @ La vie...J'aime Mar.17.2010, 2:14 pm

Can’t get on board w/ this trend… even if Chanel “started it” again! lol

• redheadfashionista Mar.17.2010, 1:59 pm

I would definitely clog if I could find the Miu Miu cat print ones. I loves them. Or the real Chanel McCoys. Otherwise they seem too impratical for anyone that doesn’t have a glamourous job in fashion.
    Though those JS ones are practical, shame they’re a bit dragalicious.

• lizzie Mar.17.2010, 12:52 pm

hell no. i remember being the only 9 year old at my school to have a serious collection of (too high for me-heeled) clogs. that was in 1995. never again!

• ShouldaWouldaCoulda Mar.17.2010, 12:48 pm

i say not to clog. never liked the way they look and I don’t think they’re very comfortable either.

• Rule of Fashion Mar.17.2010, 11:15 am

i love the clogs

checkout my shoppingblog

• Christina Mar.17.2010, 9:15 am

Some clogs are quite cute, like the Chanel ones or the Miu Miu flower ones. However, I’m still not convinced that I need a pair… for now.

• The Owl's Closet Mar.17.2010, 7:18 am

i think u can pull of the clogs but i agree, probably opt for cheaper options since they’re quite trendy. alexa chung definitely looks great in hers. she always looks good!:)

TheOwlsCloset.blogspot.com

• Felicia Ynez Mar.17.2010, 6:02 am

I thought I’d never wear clogs too. But last week I bought these online

Are they clogs?! if so, I guess I’m guilty, but they are soooo comfortable. And they look much cuter on than in person. I say go for it.

• AttemptingStyle Mar.17.2010, 5:25 am

i think ill try it out… there was a jeffrey campbell one on sale that im thinking about… if i dont end up getting around to it i probably wont be too bummed. i’m not seeing a whole lot of longevity for this trend. and if i’m wrong, theres always next season!

• Ivy Mar.17.2010, 3:47 am

You should try calling Baker’s Shoes for the Jessica Simpson pair. I just saw them there a short time ago at the one in Victoria Gardens. I think they were like $90. Doesn’t hurt to try.

• Stevie Mar.17.2010, 3:13 am

Hey girl…so excited that my friend Daley and you are friends. I tried to get him to tell you how much I love your blog and appreciate your designs whether they make it to production or not. He wasn’t having it…. I just bought the Aldo wedge clog. (I’m better on a wedge) And they are super cute.

• william Mar.17.2010, 2:41 am

We both have the most bitching clogs ever – did you forget? The pre spring 09 Balenciaga clog sandals! I wore them the second night at Tribeca actually.

• John-Jane Doe Mar.17.2010, 2:35 am

I’m gonna go with no on that one. Some mid-90s trends should stay there.

• Laura Mar.17.2010, 2:29 am

I LOVE Alexa Chung, but HATE clogs! I can’t get into them. Sorry.

• donna Mar.17.2010, 2:20 am

i’m lukewarm about clogs, but i do like the floral miu mius – very cute! thumbs down on the steve madden pair. it’s trying so hard to be sexy with the tapered heel and open toe. it’s a clog! i say if you’re gonna wear a clog, wear a clog — chunky heel and all.

• FASHION SNAG Mar.17.2010, 1:02 am

I think you would look cute in clogs. I agree on not spending a lot on them though.

• Sammi Mar.17.2010, 12:43 am

I think you should clog. I never would because I have huge feet and I would just fall out of them. I’d like to see them on a normal person like you, though.