If You Don’t Like Fur… You Won’t like Fall

Accessory reports are showing that fur is huge for Fall 2010. Yikes.

Fur is bad enough on coats but at least you can say that they keep you warm. Fur on your feet??
According to top designers, yes.
If you ask me? No.
Gross gross gross. I’m all for a little shearling trim on a cool boot like this one from Burberry
080m
But the following shoes are just silly. And cruel.
Lanvin’s Fox fur boot.
lanvin fox

Why would you want to look like you had fat hairy legs??
Celine (the design house, not me) has this option for those of you who just want fur between your toes. Sweaty.
celine fur
Lovely. And if that isn’t enough fur… there’s more here
092m
(rabbit fur)
Chanel is doing fur in a cruelty free way… faux fur. Less cruel on the animals but not on my eyes!
chanel faux fur
101m
The second one looks like a Wooly Mammoth and the ice he got frozen in.
Louboutin uses Coyote….
137m

133m
Coyote balls?? Weird.
134m
While Hermes uses Raccoon…
hermes raccoon
236m
Pierre Hardy uses Marmot (a kind of giant squirel)
pierre hardy marmot
Then Manolo trumps them all and uses Chinchilla fur
manolo chinchilla
While my pet Chinchilla, Fafi strongly objects. Aint she cute?

Then, just when you think it couldn’t get any more vulgar, Roger Vivier gives small defenseless animals a big ol middle finger and sticks a dyed pink fox face on a clutch. Classy.
vivier
Listen. I’m not an animal rights activist but fur has never really sat well with me. Even if these shoes were all faux fur, I still wouldn’t like them cause they look silly.
What do you guys think about fur on shoes?? What is your stance on fur, if you have one?
I leave you with this. One of my favorite anti-fur moments of classic American cinema…
xox

Filed under: burberry · celine · chanel · christian louboutin · fall · fur · hermes · lanvin · manolo · pierre hardy · roger vivier

Comments:

• Catherine Jul.09.2010, 10:03 pm

Hey. I just found your blog and even though this post is old I had to comment. I totally agree with you. The first boots are fine, I like them. I actually have a pair of sheep skin boots that I bought in Kazakhstan of all places. I know that the meat from that animal must have ended up on someones plate. It’s funny how that is how we justify leather. I would NEVER wear new fur (maybe vintage but I can’t afford it anyway) but I wear leather all the time and how do I really know that the animal was used in the food industry? I don’t know but it seems reasonable to assume that some aren’t. It is a very difficult issue. Luckily not in the case of these shoes. They are plain hideous. I feel that anyone wearing the majority of these doesn’t care about style or animals but just about having the lastest designer item even when it is totally deviod of decency and taste.

• william Apr.23.2010, 7:56 am

The Lanvin boots are TO DIE FOR. Soooo gorgeous. The silhouette is unreal!! The fur soled celines were a little funny.. I liked the Pierre Hardys.. hated Chanel.. like the first Louboutin boots.. and I LOVE the roger vivier clutch, it is absolutely divine.

Regardless of whether I supported fur or not, though, I would still find many of these accessories gorgeous. But I can definitely understand someone feeling saddened looking at each piece.

• Eric Apr.22.2010, 10:38 pm

Those Louboutin fur boots are hideous. I like that Chanel is at least using faux fur, but the heels are awful looking. And I feel a little guilty, but I kind of like the Manolo’s. Wish they were faux though.

• Tania Apr.16.2010, 4:51 pm

<3 Ace Ventura :D So random all through!

I agree – I’ve always hated fur, but when they stick it on the outside it’s even worse. I mean, fur lines gloves – fine, if you need them. Boots even, like the burberry. AS LONG AS YOU DON’T LOOK LIKE A YETI (or a wookie)

• Sister Wolf Apr.16.2010, 3:41 am

I think we need to wait to take our cues from Sea and her Mom. The pink fox face is nauseating, though.

• pretty face Apr.15.2010, 2:50 pm

Wow, all those shoes are actually atrocious. And chinchilla fur??? Urgh, thinking about that makes me want to be sickk.

• redheadfashionista Apr.15.2010, 2:42 pm

Ugh, vile and shameless. While they pollute the environment flying across the world for fashion shows and shopping sprees they’re also wearing its creatures on their feet? Gross!
    I actually really like the Chanel mammoth-and-ice boots. Because I can totally imagine Tilda Swinton wearing them in ‘The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe’.

• xxlivelovelaugh Apr.15.2010, 2:40 pm

O M G is all I have to say…=O =(

xxlivelovelaugh

• te Apr.15.2010, 1:35 pm

A big no on fur, faux or otherwise. I cannot bring myself to wear the “skin” (or what looks like the “skin”) of some creepy little rodent. (my 6 year old had a very mean hamster – so right now, that’s my view on rodents, creepy. haha)
    And holy balls on the Lanvin boot heel! That’s insane!

• katie Apr.15.2010, 1:13 pm

hmmm…I’m totally against fur, but I have to be a pain in the ass here and point up some double standards…

The leather than winds up on your feet/round your waist etc etc is not generally from the same carcass that furnished your steak dinner. It’s not a case of using every last bit of an animal to create a meal and fashion (which I’d feel better about), it’s more like breed the best animals so you can take whatever bit they produce really well. If you have a gut reaction to fur, I’d encourage you to rethink leather as it’s not a million miles away…Plus there are some great designers who don’t use any animal products (Stella McCartney, for instance).

Sorry to lecture! Keep up the good work, shoegirl! you’re my daily read!

• lizzie Apr.15.2010, 12:53 pm

oh my god. ew.

• birikina Apr.15.2010, 11:35 am

Do you really have a pet chinchilla?? It’s soooo cute!!!

Definitely no to the fur shoes…xx

• Lolo Apr.15.2010, 7:28 am

I have no issue with vintage fur.
    And if the fur that is used comes from animals that were killed for food that would be ok with me. That probably doesn’t happen though.

The fox fur boots and bag are especially ugly and make me sad :(

• TheShoeGirl Apr.15.2010, 7:02 am

Faith- I know what you mean. I feel super hypocritical for feeling that way too!

Jeri- I totally agree. I don’t know why it seems worse to wear fur than to wear leather goods. I happen to think cows are cute too so it’s not a save the cute animals only thing. I think maybe it’s easier to tell ourselves that cow leather isn’t as bad because at least they are killed and every part of them is used for food/leather etc.
    In a perfect world everyone would realize that being vegan is easier than it sounds and so good for them- but until then I think leather is just the norm for most.

• RAC ATTACK Apr.15.2010, 5:23 am

I believe anyone who can wear fur and not think twice about it is truly heartless.

• ellabella Apr.15.2010, 4:21 am

haha I love your little commentaries.
    I’m okay with fur (real or fake) if it’s vintage, because it’s already there, y’know? Might as well be a responsible fur consumer… or something…
    But I’m okay with fake fur… just not the kind on that shoe, ugh!

• CinEffinRella Apr.15.2010, 3:17 am

U.G.L.Y. These shoes ain’t got no alibi. They’re ugly. Yes, they’re ugly! LOL!

• Rosalind Apr.15.2010, 1:30 am

I don’t know what it is about the sexy Lavin heel, but I am drawn to it. I don’t think I would buy any of these. I found out a long time ago via a sketchers “fuzzy slipper” heel that fur or faux fur under your feet does not have an attractive smell after a couple of wears.

Love you as always, and glad to see that you are back to posting.
    Muah!

• ++MIRA++ Apr.15.2010, 12:35 am

oh i 4got to mention those celine ones are ridiculous.wont ur feet get all sweaty? its not like u can wear those in teh winter.and how do u walk with a heel so thin on that lanvin.

• ++MIRA++ Apr.15.2010, 12:31 am

i eat meat so i have no problem wearing leather cuz i know we didnt just kill the animal for its hide. but killing things just to wear and look pretty is never justified.these shoes will be worn for 3 months, and forgotten. i dont mind some of the looks, but the fact that its not faux turns me off.

• Pinky Platinum Apr.15.2010, 12:29 am

Gross and hideous! I especially hat the raccoon face… How could anyone kill a Fafi for the fur :( :(

It’s no longer a necessity to use fur to keep warm, and I certainly don’t consider it a fashion statement other than disgusting. Faux fur is one thing.. and who wants giant poodle pom poms up and down their legs?!

• dawn Apr.14.2010, 11:35 pm

Animals raised for fur have the most awful existence imaginable, not to mention are usually tortured rather than killed in any humane fashion. The fur industry is such an unnecessary atrocity. The clutch just shows you how cruel humans can really be.

I love you shoegirl & I’m so glad you do not approve of fur!

• K.M. Apr.14.2010, 11:28 pm

Ace Ventura makes me laugh!
    I may seriously do exactly what he does here to the next person i see wearing fur. I’m a vegetarian and just think the whole thing is barbaric. I wear leather shoes which i already have a hard time justifying to myself, but end up with it coming down to the fact that cows are used in the meat industry, which, whilst i dont support it, is a reality. but CHINCHILLA FUR? that is just ridiculous. and they’re not even nice shoes. that pink fox bag is just repulsive, who would buy that?
    thanks for highlighting such an important issue.

• Jeri Apr.14.2010, 11:23 pm

Thought it is totally unecessary (just like leather) I believe it’s no worse than the leather industry unless they are causing extinction and it is done humanely… otherwise aren’t all of you saying that these animals lives are worth more than a cows’? Just because a cow isn’t cute and fluffy doesn’t make it less sad that we kill it for leather.. just as these companies have killed small critters for fur. It’s the same issue except it gets people more emotional because it’s not as “in-the-norm” as killing cows, and also because they are something we recognise as cute and cuddly. I personally count every single animal life as equal be it cow, rabbit or chinchilla.
    Jeri
    xox
    P.S. but all those shoes are truly hideous anyway!

• Danielle Apr.14.2010, 11:02 pm

I almost vomited when I saw the vivier purse. wow…a carcass clutch. lovely.

• A.D. Apr.14.2010, 10:15 pm

Looking at those shoes makes me see the animal that fur once came from – and it looked a hell of a lot better on them.

• Princess Poochie Apr.14.2010, 9:38 pm

Well, you know me… I despise all of them. Fur sucks.

• Bree Apr.14.2010, 9:35 pm

I think it’s all disgusting…and the clutch? like, for real? it’s horrendous…and sad..

• hiyaluv Apr.14.2010, 9:22 pm

burberry boots are cute and they look warm-not saying that the others would not be warm but they are hideous! I cannot stand the fox face clutch.

• Melanie Apr.14.2010, 8:59 pm

Love the video clip! Perfect ending for your post.

I really love the Burberry ones, they are beautiful. But I have to admit that my favorite are actually the thigh high Louboutins. Well, with the exception of the puff at the very top.

The other shoes are wretched.

• Jamie Apr.14.2010, 8:59 pm

The rabbit fur shoes almost had me in tears. You can just imagine the little bunny.

Sick Sick and more sick. I think this trend is UGLY, I definitely appreciate those design house’s choosing faux.

• ❤Cate❤ Apr.14.2010, 8:39 pm

These shoes are pretty much hideous, although I do love the heel on the Chanel ones but otherwise yuck!

Fur is kinda a complicated issue with me, I’ll sometimes wear vintage fur but no new fur and I don’t really think designers necessarily have to use real fur now as we have perfectly decent faux substitutes as Chanel has somewhat shown here. But what about leather and sheepskin is that the same? hmmm complicated issue

• Fashions Not A Luxury Apr.14.2010, 8:16 pm

Sad. Yeah once i saw Kelly Cutrone “Kell on Earth” Finale & she got her fur heels i wondered & now look it here. FAUX “maybe” if their not to crazy with the fake fur.
    xo

• Anonymous Apr.14.2010, 8:08 pm

i love karl lagerfeld for at least not using real fur!

• Tiffany* Apr.14.2010, 8:03 pm

Oh my goodness Celine! You should put a warning up before that video clip. I haven’t seen that movie in years and totally forgot about that part. I’m sitting in my office watching this and trying my hardest not to laugh out loud! Impossible! Thank you for cheering me up today :)
    beijos-Tiffany-http://imashoewhore.blogspot.com
    oh and btw-sorry but don’t like any of those shoes at all.

• Virginia Apr.14.2010, 7:58 pm

I am a huge fan… of Ace Ventura ;)

• Carly Apr.14.2010, 7:55 pm

So upsetting.
    Not only are the shoes ugly looking, but ugh, the fact that they’re real animal fur..Such a complicated issue, but eh, there’s no stopping ‘em.

• holly in heels Apr.14.2010, 7:55 pm

Saaaaay it ain’t so! I was in total and utter shock when I saw on the last “Kell on Earth” episode that Kelly Cutrone got these crazy fur heels. I thought it was a Cutrone thing, but I guess I’m wrong. Yikes!

xoxo,

• Faith J. Apr.14.2010, 7:54 pm

I am against fur but not leather. Am I a hypocrite? Well anyways I hate fur and the look of it and would never buy any of those shoes!

• violetville Apr.14.2010, 7:51 pm

i’m not a fan of fur. additionally, i’m not a fan of anything that costs more to clean than most things cost to purchase. it’s just obnoxious. i do like the faux fur wool mammoth bootie though, for exactly the reason you note – it looks like the mammoth and the ice it came out of…creative, and cruelty-free.

• Laurie Apr.14.2010, 7:49 pm

Oh my goodness. That raccoon clutch really is the worst, isn’t it!

Ethical reasons aside, I gagged a little to think about foot sweat mixing with the warm fur lining in a shoe. Blech.

• stilettolover91 Apr.14.2010, 7:48 pm

Are those all seriously real?? They’re ugly as hell and I’m totally against fur even though my own mom has a fur coat but there’s nothing i can do about that :(