Controversy?

WOAH. So my last post got crazy in the comment section. Somebody posted some nasty things and then pretended to post as other people not knowing that I can see that they are posting from the same IP address just using different names. Oops.

Anyway- one commenter asked a valid question and I’d like to address it. She asked me how I could say that my new Cece L’amour shoe wasn’t a rip-off a Chloe Sevigny for Opening Ceremony shoe.

The photo in question:

And the CSxOC shoe:

Yes, they look similar but you need to realize that simple shoes often look alike. It’s a wood bottom shoe with a two piece upper and an ankle strap and bow. The look of the shoe is really different in my opinion. The toe shape on my shoe is more of an almond shape where the CSxOC shoe is super round and clunky. The CSxOC shoe is cut super high and looks more clog-ish than mine. I think mine is more feminine and delicate instead of clunky. The bottom is lower and more streamlined. Again, less clunky. My original shoe was with a floral bow and then I added a black bow for my friends that aren’t so girly.
You are allowed your opinion of course, but I’m going to stand by my opinion that it’s not a rip off. There are other shoes that look really similar too. This two shoes are almost exactly the same but on a wedge.

My point is that this upper is not a new concept. And let’s not forget that here were tons of shoes like this in the 70s…

Also, something you don’t know about this shoe is that it’s not even going into production. I made it for myself and some friends and have no plan to sell them to the public.

I’m in the airport on my way to China so this is a rushed post. I just wanted to address it so that you know my opinion on this. I don’t NEED to justify myself but you asked so I wanted to answer.
I don’t mind being called out on what you guys think is bogus. I’ll always try to answer your questions if you have them. What I will not respond to is nasty jealousy and disrespectful comments. ESECIALLY from anonymous people. Grow a pair. If you have a problem with me or don’t like my blog- GTFO! I’m not asking you to stay or read it. Who cares what I say or think?? It’s just a blog. Get a life.

To all the others, I love you guys! Even when we don’t agree ;)
xox

Filed under: Cece L'amour · jeffery campbell · knock off · opening ceremony

Comments:

• sofiavianag Sep.05.2011, 1:48 pm

Hi!! I found your blog by pure casualty and I think is GREAT i loved every article you post and every picture too. I’m from Mexico and im looking for flat espadrilles but not like the TOMS or so, more like spanish espadrilles.
    do yo know where can I find some?? This is what I mean by spanish espadrilles

• Sharron Jul.25.2011, 6:35 am

I think the shoes look great…..and there are LOTS of shoes that look exactly alike. Luv your blog!!!

• Party Pixies Event Planning...and more Jul.24.2011, 5:12 pm

i totally get ur point with the knock-offs and agree ur shoes r different! for all those tht have neg comments well its a free world but if they dont like wat u say they can move on to another blog! know im just saying!
    you are an inspiration to us girls tht wish they had the chance to do wat u do! so keep doing wat ur doing!!! we LOVE ur style!

• TheShoeGirl Jul.16.2011, 5:23 pm

When and how did I put JC down??? Do you guys read my whole posts? I LOVE JC shoes! I only have a problem with the fact that they are knocking off iconic footwear. I will continue to buy and wear his shoes- it’s not like I’m trying to start a boycott.
    Jesus I can’t believe how offended some people are by this. It’s just my opinion, it really shouldn’t bother you that much.

• Anonymous Jul.16.2011, 8:48 am

I love your blog, I love lusting over shoes and I’ve been a reader for a long time.

This is my first time commenting because I am kinda amused and uncomfortable by how you put things across. You could just explain how you aren’t a knockoff, but is there a need to put other designers down? If we have to do this, then by examining your design, honestly? Its a knockoff. Same shape same details, even the little buckle on the ankle strap. Most of us love it, so you really didnt need to put other designers like JC down. Just sayin’.

Still l0ooking forward to your next posts and hope you are not offended.

• Anonymous Jul.15.2011, 2:42 pm

I think it’s a total knock off. But, I’m always looking for the less expensive version of things that I want. So, thank you because I’m a girl on a budget! I have lots of things in my closet that looks similar to a designer.

• smurfette Jul.14.2011, 4:24 pm

hey there- i don’t visit this blog very much, but i think you seem like a very sweet and very genuine person.

i would just like to know what, for you, is the difference between a shoe that is “inspired by” and a shoe that is a blatant knock-off.

to my thinking, a knock off is a shoe that strives to look as much like the original as possible, whereas an “inspired by” shoe takes the concept of the original and does something else with it.

where lies my problem….

okay, i know you (correctly) pointed out that this “type” of shoe is not original and there have been versions around since the 70s, BUT….

i would have to do a second take to pick out the details that make your shoe different to the CSxOC shoe. at a glance i would have thought, oh, that’s that CSxOC shoe.

but i’d know at a glance that the shoes in the post below were not the original shoe. they just don’t look like them.

so, by my reasoning, your shoe is a knock off and the ones in the post below are “inspired by.”

i’d love to know your thinking on this. i swear to God, this is just an honest question. i only ever get good vibes from this blog.

• Mexican Brand Shoes Jul.14.2011, 10:34 am

Thats not right to get nervous. Please ignore those scams.. There is a big creativity inside you.. Please post again. already liked it very much.

• Heel, Body, and Sole Jul.13.2011, 6:41 pm

“I made it for myself and some friends and have no plan to sell them to the public.”

NOOooOOoOoOoOoOoOo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME CELINE!!!!!!!! Seriously when I first saw that shoe I said I wanted them and have been patiently waiting for your debut so I could snatch them up. This is truly heartbreaking news to me. My heart stopped when I read that and nothing else mattered. Is it possible to do an exclusive sale of them? Or I buy a special pair?

• Splash Media TV Jul.13.2011, 1:56 pm

Ugly ducklings wanted.

Are you or do you know anyone that is a bit of a misfit? Someone who is constantly overlooked, underappreciated, down trodden, and not taken seriously. Someone who is the worst dresser in the world and who prefers to hide away but knows there is more waiting to get out. Are you an ugly Betty or a Susan Boyle waiting for a chance to prove everyone who dismissed you as wrong.

E4 are offering to transform that person from shrinking violet to talk of the town. In an extreme fashion experience. If you are over 18 and want to take part in a non transmitted pilot apply before ???

Michael Massey

Head of Factual

Splash Media

Tel: 0207 255 5473

Email: michaelmassey@splashmediatv.co.uk

• banclothing Jul.12.2011, 8:26 pm

I think knock off’s are usually associated with something very unique and obviously copied. Yes, these shoes are similar but they are both simple relatively plain shoes. If you both used very similar fabric for the bows I would think knock off but not with the black leather. Also, good for you for leaving all the comments up on your last post. When you put yourself out there there will be criticism. I hate when people delete any remotely negative comments because they want the world to think everyone loves them. By the way your teeth def are not too big for your face.

• Sita Jul.12.2011, 7:16 pm

Hi! I’ve been a longtime reader of your great blog and this is the first time I’ve been compelled to comment.

I also agree with the comment that your beef with JC is because they are iconic was spot on. As a fellow footwear designer I too am sensitive to the fine line between inspired/infringement. Classic designs are classic designs, and CSxOC isn’t the first to do that silhouette.

I just recently watched this video which shows most creativity is derivative of something else, it’s pretty cool…

yay theshoegirl!

• Anonymous Jul.12.2011, 1:26 pm

can i suggest you a contest?
    it’s perfect for you..:)
    you can win a trip to Italy!!
    ilaria

• Liza Jul.12.2011, 3:15 am

Both designs are ugly!

• Black American Shoe Princess Jul.11.2011, 8:55 pm

Just doing a drive-by post to say how much I love your blog and style!!!! :)

• Anne@ Baby shoes Jul.11.2011, 11:17 am

How different can shoes be!

• william Jul.11.2011, 10:16 am

Ditto on the remark about the price point – if you’re offering your take on a style to a lower market it’s not a big deal. That’s business, and if you were doing anything different you probably wouldn’t have a job.

And as for the jealousy, I agree – there is little else that would prompt such vicious and personal attacks. People see that you are successful and want nothing more than to take you down to their level. It’s completely juvenile.

You’re an incredibly sweet, amazing person, and I feel sorry for those who cannot see it for themselves.

• jennifer Jul.11.2011, 10:15 am

I was really surprised to have a look over it.

• Claire M. Jul.11.2011, 5:57 am

Amazing shoes! I really love it ;)

• Anonymous Jul.10.2011, 8:18 pm

I love the shoes and all but…
    YOU SPELLED CONTROVERSY WRONG.
    SORRY.

• Imani Ayat Jul.10.2011, 8:00 pm

Please make this shoe part of your line. I love it. SO gorgeous! I do have a question, will your shoe line have size 5s. I have been having this major problem looking for cute cute shoes that actually make my size. I’m calling it shoe discrimination been experiencing it everywhere. Anyhow, can’t wait to see the rest of your new line. Take care.

• sadie Jul.10.2011, 3:42 pm

you explain the differences in the shoes very well. There is a huge difference between similarities and blatantly copying, and that is the point you have been trying to make.

I love your shoes. I wish you tons of success.

• no one Jul.10.2011, 3:14 pm

I love you and your shoes :)

Have a safe trip!

• StyleScrybe Jul.10.2011, 2:38 pm

Not going into production??? Le sigh! Those shoes are adorable! They’d have made the perfect “Cutesy Tuesday” shoe for Shoes N booze.

• MsVeve Jul.10.2011, 12:11 pm

Well, in my humble opinion the shoes in question do look A LOT like the CSOC shoes, but I prefer the bigger bow your shoes have. I dunno, it’s tricky, but if your not putting them in productions then who cares if they look similar or not right??:)

• PriscillaW8 Jul.10.2011, 4:36 am

maybe I missed it because I have not been on my blog lately, but how did you start making your own shoes?

• betseygirlLA Jul.10.2011, 1:08 am

I don’t understand why people are so hateful and stupid. Your original post about the JC knockoffs was obviously about very iconic, creative, and uncommon designs which JC blatantly ripped off.

HOWEVER, the debate about whether your wood platforms are knockoffs of the CSxOC platforms is so absurd. Chloe Sevigny did not make the very first wood platform heel. It’s a basic shoe and a basic design that’s been around FOREVER and yours could have EASILY been designed without ever seeing the CSxOC shoe.

To the anonymous poster who can’t seem to get over how jealous they are of Celine, get a fucking life. How trashy of you to be bashing her designs and personal life on her blog. If you don’t like it, stop reading the blog and go buy your opening ceremony shoes instead! You’re obviously jealous of her, and I bet your closet is FULL of knockoffs and forever 21 crap. If you had any class or dignity you wouldn’t be talking shit on the internet.

On a lighter note..My room mate and I love your blog and love your shoes! I worked for BJ up until Steve Madden took over, and it’s really unfortunate that they lost you as a designer. Cant wait til your line goes into production. I would LOVE a pair of your wood platforms by the way..size 8.

xox

• very irresistible Jul.09.2011, 2:56 pm

hey celine, i just wanted to say that i really love your blog. i think you’re funny :)
    according to this post: i guess it’s pretty hard to create a shoe that NOT looks like some other that’s already been on the market (i’m from germany, but i hope you know what i wanted to say :D).
    good luck with cece l’amour!
    hugs & kisses, you’re wonderful

• Hannah Jul.09.2011, 2:53 pm

There is little complete originality in any creative endeavor. But to attack someone on a personal level over something unrelated takes away from an actual discussion that could be happening over where the line between inspiration and complete rip off begins. I think you need to change fundamental design elements–things that were clearly not done in those particular JC examples. Obviously no one is coming out with a brand new thing here, but you can pay homage without ripping the complete idea. The OCxCS aren’t ‘originals’ either.

It would be nice to get a real dialogue going instead of devolving into name calling and baseless accusations.

• Metal Wall Art Jul.09.2011, 1:14 pm

High heel shoes continue to go up in height, but have you noticed that as people lose their homes and jobs, that women are wearing more heels that are higher than ever? This is very according to Conventry Telegraph.

• Anonymous Jul.09.2011, 11:03 am

I love your blog and your shoes, but I have to agree that to me it does look like a knock off

• TheShoeGirl Jul.09.2011, 9:13 am

Anon- I don’t think EVERYONE who commented negatively is jealous- just the person making personal attacks on me sounded a little creepy.

I welcome negative feedback. I don’t like it but I respect it.

When you guys only read part of the blog you only get part of the story. I never said I hate ALL knockoffs. I hate those knockoffs.

• cathy Jul.09.2011, 5:36 am

a knock off is a knock off just own up to it. its not this horrible thing. people are making it out to be like illegal replicas or something.

those shoes look similar. period.

that being said if your pair is <100 and i know chloeXoc is atleast 3-400 then i would much rather buy yours. unless they hurt ’cause i’ve tried on the chloesXoc and they arrrreeeee coooommmfffy

• Anonymous Jul.09.2011, 4:15 am

What is ur price point gonna be? Can the average gal like moi afford a pair :)

• chipsHH Jul.08.2011, 11:53 pm

So, if the knock-off pair from the first few pics are “clunky” and not “feminine looking”…. Do you think I, a guy, could work them? ;D

Btw, hackers can go suck a big one :)

• Anonymous Jul.08.2011, 10:47 pm

I really enjoy your blog, but I have to say I strongly disagree that your design is so different from Chloe’s OC design. It’s really not. As for the accusation that those who commented negatively in your last post must be jealous, I don’t think that’s fair. I didn’t comment on your last blog, but I think you’re on the same level as Steve Madden and JC. No offense.

• kaybear Jul.08.2011, 8:32 pm

People are unbelievable! As if they would use a blog to personally attack you (previous post)! I love your blog and I love your shoes – I dream of having a shoe collection to rival yours some day!

On another note, I just wanted to say that the way I read your previous post, you were not liking or disliking knock-offs on the whole? There are classy ways to do knockoffs. People don’t even realize that the majority of shoes in affordable shoe stores are knockoffs of designer shoes. To do something that hasn’t already been done it would have to be pretty outrageous considering how long shoe designers have been around trying to make beautiful shoes!

Anyways, that’s the way I read your post. And the shoes in this post are gorrrrrrgeous. I wish I could have a pair of each black bow and patterned bow! Now I’m on the search for something similar…a knockoff, so to speak.

• Shoeista Jul.08.2011, 5:13 pm

I love your blog!

• Shoeista Jul.08.2011, 5:11 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Carolina Jul.08.2011, 1:48 pm

Celine, I want custom-order shoes from you!! :P I wish!!

• lizzie Jul.08.2011, 1:08 pm

-__________-

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• FOUR inch HEELS Jul.08.2011, 1:06 pm

Celine-

I’ve never commented but always loved your blog, style and designs! I just wanted to say that I’d buy these shoes (flower or black bow regardless!) in a hot minute! The lines are sexy and feminine and they look well made!! I’m quite sad to hear that you won’t be putting them out to the public. But alas, I feel secure in the knowledge that whatever you do put out will be equally inspired!
    As a reader and consumer alike – THANK YOU for being true to you and always HONEST with us!

Best Wishes!
    Taryn

• Charlotte Jul.08.2011, 7:48 am

the shoes are so beautiful!

• Claire M. Jul.08.2011, 5:55 am

Thank God your account is back. I love the high heels. Thanks for sharing.

• MissB Jul.08.2011, 5:47 am

Ha LOVE your answer! i’m always perplexed by people who hate on a blogger but stay a reader – its very strange in deed.
    And i agree, there are millions of similar shoes out there – copying is taking the unusual ones and then redoing them as your own!

Anyway, enuff on that topic lets talk about how i can change your mind and you will either produce that cute little bow shoe for me…. or you take me as a friend – either way i’m easy :)

Enjoy China :)

• MissB Jul.08.2011, 5:47 am

Enjoy China :)

• wale Jul.08.2011, 1:31 am

Good answer Celine! Keep up with the good job, cant wait to see your line in stores ;)

• helen Jul.07.2011, 11:50 pm

pft, the CSxOC ones are overpriced anyways, if you make something cheaper but similar, i’ll happily buy a pair :)

ignore the anonymous people, jealousy is a terrible thing. let them get it out of their system and maybe they’ll grow up and move on

from a long term follower of your blog :)

• .life is reediculous. Jul.07.2011, 11:25 pm

so true. people will always hate on something! i’m liking your design a lot better anyway!

• A Maze In Grace Jul.07.2011, 11:02 pm

Muuuuaaaahhhhh!!!!

I had to give you the biggest kiss because I love your point of view and your opinion.

However, I will condemn you for not sending this shoes to production – And being so outrageously stingy to only share this fabulous design with only your friends.

Your designs are beautiful as you are.

With love,
    Grace

• flutycutie Jul.07.2011, 11:00 pm

I really like the shoes you designed regardless of their similarity to those by CSxOC, but I’m glad you addressed this question. I now see the subtle differences between the pairs, and to be honest, I much prefer your design–it’s more feminine and elegant in my opinion. I wish you were putting them into production for public sale, because I’d definitely buy them with the black bow!

I can’t wait to see the rest of your shoe line!

• Lyndsea Tim Tim Jul.07.2011, 10:58 pm

Celine! I, too, wish they were going to production cause they are sooo cute and I would absolutely buy them! You’re super talented and I’m so glad you are getting to do your own line. What a dream!! I can’t wait to see the shoes that do make it into production! :)
    -Lynds

• Elena Jul.07.2011, 10:39 pm

Damn, I wish they were for production because I LOVE them!!

• NattyP Jul.07.2011, 10:14 pm

I think both are beautiful, love them with the floral bow too! And people that cause trouble like that, well karma will get them!

• Dominique Jul.07.2011, 9:31 pm

I love the your shoe whether it similar or not. Where can you get it? When will it be available and for how much?

• Mary Jul.07.2011, 9:23 pm

I LOVE ALL YOUR SHOES :)

• Tamra of walkswithBella Jul.07.2011, 8:26 pm

Sorry to hear about your hacking! that’s terrible, at least the beautiful shoes take away from the hate. keep on posting those darlings!

• skeletoes Jul.07.2011, 8:05 pm

Im liking how people are bringing the retro look back personally. Sorry that you had to deal with thous BS haters!

• Fashion Crackheads Jul.07.2011, 7:46 pm

I agree! But if people are NOT hating, then u r not doing something right. Keep doing u…Love the Blog

• jewlz Jul.07.2011, 7:39 pm

Love them regardless of all the negative hype. Want a pair asap :)